running

running

Thursday, May 2, 2013

random thoughts

I have had a lot of random thoughts going through my head lately with regards to running.  I have been trying to become a stronger and faster runner, although I'm not even sure I really know how to do that.  Sure, I read magazines and do research online, but that's really all I have to go by.  I never ran in school, and I've never had a running coach.  In fact, running was always my least favorite thing to do.  Until one day, about 6 years ago, when I decided to give running a fair shot, and proved myself wrong.  It was never about speed for me though, or race times.  I never did speed workouts, or tempo runs, or track workouts, or even knew what any of those things consisted of until recently.

my first trip around the track was only a month ago
Something recently has sparked in me, and suddenly I want to learn more about running, the different work outs, and what it takes to be faster.  So, over the past few weeks I have started to incorporate these types of workouts in to my training.  Sometimes I feel great, and other times I feel like I just can't do it, and I end up getting very frustrated.  I start to question my abilities.  My head starts to race as I'm walking down the street, instead of running.

Why is this run so hard?
Maybe my fast will always be slow...
Are some people just not able to run as fast?
Will it ever get easier?
Does everyone feel like this?
Why can't I find a comfortable pace?
What's wrong with me?
UGH!

Just before I completely freak out I remember that when I started running, I was lucky if I could break a 10min mile.  And I remember why I love running.  Because it's a challenge.  It pushes me like no other sport has.  It keeps me coming back for more no matter how hard the last run was.

Since I started running, my mile times have improved by over 2 minutes, without even really trying.  So, maybe I should give myself a break.

After all, I just started trying to add speed workouts and I definitely can't expect to get faster over night.  I also think I started a little too ambitious.  My legs are tired and I need to give them more of a break than I have been.  Maybe I thought I was super human for a while there and could immediately start pushing my body to the limits.  News flash, that's not reality.

I'm going to keep working to figure this running thing out.  Thankfully I have found so many wonderfully talented and inspirational runners, who I follow on twitter and read their blogs, who help me see that I am not alone in this.

Pictures from my run today.  NH has finally had some gorgeous weather!

beautiful morning for a trail run

the path less traveled


1 comment:

  1. Hello Jessica,
    Just a quick email to ask if you would be interested in a ‘mutual’ following on twitter. I am currently following you now and am awaiting for your follow-back. (#FYI I do RT’s ‘anytime’ for all #Triathletes #Cyclists #UltraRunners #Marathoners #FitnessProfessionals who follow me on Twitter and have something important they want mentioned for support…)

    All the very best for 2013 & beyond Jessica. Look forward to hearing from you…

    Darin
    twitter.com/DarinArmstrong
    #TeamLIVESTRONG

    ReplyDelete