running

running

Thursday, May 16, 2013

these runs are changing me

On Sunday, May 26th I will be running Boston's Run to Remember.  This is a half marathon (there's also a 5 mile road race option) that is a tribute to law enforcement officers who have been killed in the line of duty.  A race that started in 2005, now has even more meaning due to the horrible events that occurred at the Boston Marathon this year.  There will be a special tribute to those affected at the marathon and in the days following.


I had been wanting to run this race for a couple of years, and finally signed up to run it this year.  I love Boston, and had been wanting so badly to run a race in the city.  I never dreamed of qualifying for the Boston Marathon (until recently), so I kind of thought this race could be my "Boston (half) Marathon."  I signed up about 6 months ago and passed it along to a few of my friends who signed up as well.  Now, I can't believe it's only a little over a week away!

I am starting to get that nervous/excited/am I ready feeling already.  This will be the first half marathon that I plan to give it all I got and see what my body can do.  As far as I'm concerned, this is kind of a stepping stone to becoming the runner I would like to be.  The races I did before this year, I ran just to finish.  Now, I have something bigger and faster in mind.  I have thoughts of numbers and times and goals dancing around in my head.

sunshine makes me happy
Of course, having these thoughts changes a few things.  Well, a lot has changed really from the runner I used to be, to the runner I am now, and the runner I hope to become.  I think number one on that list is that I am no longer afraid to call myself a runner.  I run.  I feel like a runner.  I eat like a runner.  I have more running clothes than regular clothes.  Therefore, I am a runner damn it!

I am a runner.
Something else that has changed is the way I feel about races.  I feel like I used to feel before a big gymnastics meet, or softball game.  It's a feeling I never used to really get before races though.  I didn't have the emotion and the feeling behind the races...I just ran them.  Now I have that passion and the drive to do well and to improve as a runner and do the best that I can.  It's a powerful and exciting feeling.

And of course, the workouts and the training have changed as well.  I used to skip over the speed work.  I remember very well asking what does it mean when it says 4x400?  I didn't have a clue.  Well I still don't really, but I guess I'm becoming a little less clueless.  I'm learning to find the meaning behind each and every training run.  I am no longer running just to run, I am running to get somewhere.

Of course, sometimes you have to stop and take pictures along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment