running

running

Friday, July 12, 2013

I think I'll go to RI

Tomorrow I am running my 7th half marathon in Jamestown, RI.  I'm a little nervous about how this is going to go because my long runs lately have been kind of a challenge.  I like to blame the extreme humidity and heat we've been experiencing, but the little voice in my head likes to make me question if it's actually just me.  The weather for tomorrow looks a little cooler, and it should help being on the water (Jamestown is an island off of Newport, RI).

Tomorrow will be the first time I am heading to a race where I don't know anyone else who is running it.  I kind of impulsively signed up for this race.  I think it will be a fun experience though and a beautiful course.  My dad lives in RI, so I'll be spending the night with him and my stepmom before heading over to the start at 6am.  They're going to come with me to the race too, which is exciting because they've only seen me race one other time.

Training lately has been pretty up and down.  Most of my shorter runs and speed work have been going pretty well, but the long runs have been a little bit of a struggle.  If you've read anything I've posted before, or know me at all, you'd know that I do not like the heat.  Add some serious humidity and I am miserable.  Probably the worst combination for a long run in my opinion.  On Saturday I woke up early thinking I could try to beat it, but no such luck.  Even at 6am it was HOT.  After that run I was feeling a little defeated and frustrated.

Thankfully, Tuesday's run left me feeling much better.  It was still really humid on Tuesday, but there was some relief from the high temps, which helped so much.  My workout was 15 min w.u. 2 mile tempo, 2 min rest, 800 @ 10k pace, 3min rest, 2 mile tempo, 15 min c.d.


The tempo miles were supposed to be between half and marathon pace.  I ran them closer to half marathon pace.  I also had a brain fart and when I saw 10k pace I was thinking 5k pace...ooops.  BUT I felt really good so I went with it.  That's the run I need to remember tomorrow, not the horrendous attempt at 14 miles on Saturday.

Time to get my butt in gear so I can pack and hit the road!  Here I come, Rhode Island...I hope you're ready for me.    
            

No comments:

Post a Comment