running

running

Thursday, August 27, 2015

that one time...at bird camp

I had the incredible opportunity to attend bird camp this year in Leavenworth, WA with about 100 other wonderful Oiselle teammates. There aren't enough adjectives to describe this amazing experience and what it meant to me. So, rather than try to put all my thoughts in to writing, I'll use my pictures to tell the story.

Day 1 
Woke up bright and early to catch a flight out of Boston to Seattle. Rebecca and I got through security and headed to the gate, only to find out 2 minutes too late they had changed the gate. We watched our plane take off and spent some extra time in Logan waiting for the next flight.

see ya later Boston

We made it to Seattle in just enough time to take a cab to the new Oiselle store, speed shop, grab some food, and jump on a bus for a 2+ hour ride to Leavenworth.

scoping out the track through the bus window

I call the loft!

Sleeping Lady resort is beautiful



Day 1 ended with listening to the Haute Volee racing team, talking about goals, and what makes us feel powerful. My heart was full.

Day 2 

PT with Jay Dicharry

Goal setting with Lauren Fleshman and Adrienne Langelier

Jasyoga <3 

Sitting on a rock enjoying the most beautiful scenery. Trying to soak it all in.

birds take over the woods pre 5k

THIS girl <3 thanks for being a fabulous roommate and friend



<3

I love these women





This 5k would be the first and only time I actually got to run at camp. I had a very cranky IT band that only got worse during the race. Total bummer. 

Also important to note, I had a close encounter with a black bear and her cub about half way through the race. Terrifying but also kind of cool. Welcome to the woods.

Listening to Sally, Kristin and Heather talk about the team vision
and plans for the future. I'm so grateful to be a part of something so special. 

Day 3 (probably my favorite)
If you can't run...bike!



will stop for cows

this bike ride was one of the highlights for me

don't get views like this in the city

That afternoon we had the option of shopping, SUP, kayak, or float down the Wenatchee River in a tube. I chose to float. It was perfect. Post river float we went to Der Hinterhof for happy hour and apps. 

take me back

When we got back to the resort we gathered to listen to the hilariously funny Erin Ward AKA Jungle Chicken, Kayla from Girls Gotta Run Foundation, and Kristin Kirkland from Every Mother Counts. It was a fabulous day. 

Day 4
Most of the group went off to hike to Lake Colchuck. Given the state of my IT band, I chose to stay back and relax. I packed up my suitcase, went to fitness center, enjoyed nature's ice bath, spent many hours sitting by the pool, and listened to Lauren Fleshman serenade us with her guitar and beautiful voice. Did it all have to end? 

nature's ice bath

had to go back to this spot one last time...it was my favorite

the river was freezing, but oh so nice





Lauren and Erin rocking out

Later that night we were treated to a fashion show (no pictures allowed), some giveaways, and a gear swap. Many of us headed over to the grotto bar to share stories, have drinks, and reminisce about the days prior. 

Definitely wasn't quite ready for that one.

I stayed up way too late (with too many drinks) considering my early departure, but I didn't care. I was prolonging the inevitable end to one of the best experiences of my life. 

Not a day has gone by that I haven't thought about bird camp. It feels like just yesterday yet so long ago at the same time. When asked about what makes me feel powerful, the first thing that came to mind was the Oiselle team. In a world where women are constantly tearing each other apart and trying to bring others down, these women build us all up, offer support, and never ending encouragement. I can't thank each and every one of them enough. 

Bird camp 2015, you far exceeded my expectations. 


  

3 comments:

  1. This looks like such an amazing and uplifting time! AND GORGEOUS. That's also cool they had opportunities to do non-running things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was incredibly uplifting and inspirational. It was great that while they had many activities planned, in reality we were free to do whatever we wanted and were comfortable with! I was nervous going in to it that I would struggle with keeping up due to my injury, but I was reassured there would be others in the same boat and I would have other options. Definitely an amazing experience.

      Delete
  2. YAY!!! I love this, Jess! I'm so glad you had such a great time; it'd be tough not to, right?? I loved seeing all the pictures over the weekend and all of the love; I can't wait to head to Eugene next year to meet up with some folks I've never seen in real life!! Do you think you'll try to come, too? I would love to meet you! Hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete