running

running

Sunday, September 7, 2014

floating on a runner's high

This weekend was one that every runner needs every now and then to remind us why we love running. To remind us why we wake up at the crack of dawn to squeeze in a run most days of the week. To remind us why we continue to push ourselves through the good days and the bad to reach goals that sometimes seem insurmountable. Weekends like this one make it all feel worth it. Weekends like this one leave me flying high and ready for more. 

My weekend actually started on Friday this week. I worked on Monday, Labor Day, in hopes of taking Friday off so the bf and I could spend the day together (he worked Monday too). I wanted to do some exploring and find an outside adventure we could enjoy. In my search of "things to do on a hot day in Boston" I found a beach that was about 20 min away from us, in South Boston. We hadn't been to the beach this year yet, so I guess the first weekend in September was as good of time as any! We packed our bags and a cooler and headed to Carson Beach. It was an absolutely perfect beach day, 90 degrees, sunny, a slight breeze, and not crowded at all. I was a pig in shit. 

watching the planes...you'd never know you were right outside the city

Saturday morning I had plans to run with Kristin. Kristin and I met first through social media, and only recently realized we live just a few miles from each other. She's an amazing runner, newly crowned IM finisher, and a super sweet person. Maybe someday I'll actually be able to keep up with her! We met at Minuteman Park, which is this beautiful area of trails that start in Lexington. This was the first time I had been there, and as Kristin warned, it may just be one of my new favorite places to run. I had 50 minutes easy on the schedule, so we went out for about 25 minutes, then turned around and came back. The trails were wide and mostly groomed, the scenery was beautiful, and on an incredibly hot and humid day, the trees offered some welcomed shade. I ran hard trying to keep up with Kristin, but felt pretty good overall considering the hot and humid conditions. Not quite sure what I would do without my running friends.

Post run, super sweaty and smiling...totally unplanned twinning.

This morning's agenda included a 16-17 mile run, split between the beginning miles with Stephanie and the final 6 miles with some of my fabulous Oiselle teammates who also live in MA (some of us had met before, most of us had not). Stephanie ran over to meet me on the bike path in Lexington. We ran 3.5 miles out and back one way, and then another 1.5 miles in the other direction before I had to turn around to make it back in time to meet the Oiselle birdies at 8:30. By the time I met them I had already completed about 10.3 miles. I was surprised by how good I felt and was very ready to continue on with these incredible runners. We continued down the bike path, 3 miles out and back, sharing stories, and getting to know one another better. I finished the day at 16.34 miles, my longest run of this training cycle, and feeling great. After our run, we planned to have brunch at a place called Lexx. We had delicious food, bloody mary's, and mimosas and continued to talk like we've known each other for years. It was perfect. 

follow the spike bags
photo credit: Amanda

birds at brunch

Now, as I sit here on my couch, watching the Patriots and reflecting on this weekend, I can't help but smile. I am so grateful for the friends and teammates I have made through running. I am grateful for their support and encouragement, and how they pick me up when I am down and questioning my abilities. I am grateful for all of them, all over the country. I am grateful for this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment