running

running

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

tattooed

I've been struggling lately coming up with things to write about.  Training is still going well.  Winter is still here in full force, to my dislike.  I've still got a pretty good case of the winter blues going on.  So, I just haven't felt like I've had much to say, or any fun running news to report.

I did, however, get some fresh ink added to my body a couple of weeks ago.  I had been wanting to get another tattoo, but wasn't sure exactly what.  When I lost my favorite little wrinkly man, Manny, in November I knew I wanted get something to remind me of him.  I thought for a long time about what to do.  I have a scar on my right wrist that is from him.  He was a little jerk from time to time, but I loved him just the same.  I knew I wanted to somehow incorporate the scar in the tattoo, or have a tattoo around it somehow.

After a lot of brainstorming, doodling, and drawing on myself, I decided I wanted 4 paw prints.  The first one around my scar, and the three other staggered up my arm, facing me.  I was very nervous to actually go and get it done though.  I have other tattoos, but being on my wrist, this one would be the most visible (I have one on my foot, which is very visible in the summer because I live in flip flops.  But, it is still hidden when I'm at work).  I was nervous about what people would think when they saw it.  I made an appointment anyways, and went down to the tattoo shop.  Still feeling a little nervous, I got out of my car and looked down at the ground.  Staring back at me, in the snow, was a paw print.  When I saw that, the nerves went away, and I knew this was what I wanted to do.

Manny meant a lot of things to me.  Tattoos obviously aren't for everyone, and are frowned upon by many.  Personally, I see them as way to express yourself, your beliefs, and what is important to you.  This year is about moving forward for me, living life without hiding behind an eating disorder, and believing in my abilities.  This tattoo is a reminder of all of those things, along with helping me feel like Manny is still by my side.


Do you have any tattoos?  What do they mean to you?             

1 comment:

  1. Love the tattoo! It's super cute and meaningful. I'm a huge fan of tattoos, I have 1, but would love to have a couple more. Glad training is still going well!

    ReplyDelete